Thursday, February 16, 2012

Haiti Trip, February 16-25, 2012, Day 1

Dear Friends and Family...

Les Cayes Area
Well, I am on my way back to Haiti. I will actually be arriving tomorrow around 3:40 PM in Port-au-Prince. On this trip I will be spend most of my time in the Les Cayes area (see map). I will be visiting our sites at Bigarouse, Cambry, Cayes, Cherette, Darivager, and Savannes (Bon Berger). While at these sites I will be updating my assessment information from September 2010.

During the first half of the trip I will be meeting up with a team from First United Methodist Church and Centenary College, both in Shreveport, LA. Louis St. Germain (ESMI Haiti Field Director) and I will be showing this team some of our facilities for hosting teams and some of our sites with churches and orphanages. This group has planned additional teams later this year and this trip will provide the detail information needed to put those trips together. One of these future trips will include a one to two month English and French teaching program for orphans at some of our sites. It is always great to finally meet people that you have been talking to on the phone and exchanging emails with face-to-face.

During the second half of the trip I will be meeting up with a team that is comprised of members from the Chicago and Las Vegas areas. They will be primarily focusing on medical clinics and orphan care. The engineer that designed the riverbank repair at Cherette (check out details on earlier blogs and pictures on my Flickr account) will be with this team. We will be working together to survey the riverbed and see if we can come up with a solution to reroute the flow of the river away from the Cherette orphan village. Surveying…another long-lost activity from my past that is being resurrected.

As with my other trips I will try to send out a daily email with some pictures from the day and brief descriptions of the activities. If you do not receive any of these then it will most likely be because I do not have an Internet access.

Special Requests at this time:

  • Please pray for safe travel for the team members coming down and for our loved ones that we are leaving behind. 
  • Please pray for my mother. She went into the hospital earlier this week for the third time in the past nine months with an issue with her pancreas. The doctors are doing some testing and non-invasive tests to try to determine the source of the problem and a strategy going forward. 
  • Also pray for my father…he misses his bride very much, plus he is scheduled to have a defibrillator installed in a couple of weeks. 
  • Please pray for Ben and Susie, friends that are serving with Athletes in Action. They have three children and a fourth one on the way. They recently found out that Susie has a cancerous brain tumor. They are working with their doctors to determine a strategy to deal with this and also protect their unborn child. You can follow their progress on their ministry website.


    No comments:

    Post a Comment